Neverwinter Roleplayers

Connecting to the In Game Chat via Pidgin

8 replies
6 posts
+1 likes
Untagged users
As you may know, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and now NWO share a common chat system and allow users to connect to the system from outside of game. This is a lifesaver for people like me who can't get in game as much as I like. Chat aggregaters like Pidgin also allow for logging, a feature I sorely miss inside of Cryptic's game clients, and chat usually stays up when the servers are down for maintenance.

There are a number of chat aggregators that allow for connection to the Cryptic systems. I use Pidgin as it allows me to join channels. When I wrote this, Trillian did not have that functionality.

Before I post the instructions, There are a couple of things I should point out about using Pidgin for chat.
  • Anonymity is not respected by Pidgin. If you log into the game anonymously, Pidgin users can still see you as online in the list of online friends and channel members
  • You cannot initiate a private message by right clicking on someone from the list of online channel members. Use Buddies | "New Instant Message.... You will need to type in their global handle.

These are the steps I follow to connect to chat:

Before you begin.
Note: I am unaware of a NWO test server and I'm not sure if being on the test server in one of the other games is still a requirement. If someone tests the procedure who's not on a test server, could you get back to us with your results?

Pidgin Setup.
  • Start your Pidgin client.
  • Click on Accounts > Manage Accounts.
  • Click the Add button.
  • On the Add Account dialog fill out the following:
  • Protocol: XMPP
  • Username: <Account Name> (The login name used for CO Live/Holodeck)
  • Domain: CrypticSpace.com
  • Resource: <Anything> (Equivalent to character name in game)
  • Password: <Your Account Password>
  • Check Remember Password (if desired).
  • Click Add.

The account information should look something like this:

p1.jpg

If you're successful, you will see a list of all the SG's you've ever been a member of and a list of your friends:

p2.jpg

To connect to custom chat channels:
  • Start Pidgin
  • Navigate to Buddies | Add Chat
addchat.png

In the Add Chat Dialog...
  • Select the CrypticSpace account from the drop down menu
  • Type in the name of the channel you want to join. Replace any spaces " " with +. "Champions RP" should be typed as "Champions+RP" for example.
  • Type in channels.crypticspace.com as the server. This is different than the default.
  • Type in the name you want seen in that channel as a Handle
  • Nothing is required in the Alias or Password fields.
  • Select the group where you'd like the channel to appear
  • Check "Autojoin..." and "Remain in..."
chatprops.png

When you click "Add' a new tab with that channel will appear in the chat window.

chattabs.png

It is also possible to connect to guild chat.
  • Select "Join a Chat" from the Buddies menu.
  • Select your Crypticspace account from the account list, and click the "Room List" button
  • Verify that the conference server is guilds.crypticspace.com, and click "Find Rooms"

If all has gone well, you should see a list of SG chat channels in a separate window, in the following format:
live!teen+phalanx

Click the "Join Chat" button to simply join, or the "Add Chat" button to permanently add the channel to your contact list.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information or clarification.
elsbanner.gif
Posted May 9, 13 · OP
+1  likes
+23 likes
Untagged users
I can see this being quite useful to people. Thank you very much for putting this all together!
1388876246_miaforum_zps536a70ce.png
◦○☼○◦ Tumblr (Possible NSFW) ◦○☼○◦ Character sheet ◦○☼○◦
Posted May 9, 13
0  likes
6 posts
+1 likes
Untagged users
Selinis D'Nailo wrote:
I can see this being quite useful to people. Thank you very much for putting this all together!

It's really quite nice. Most of my RP occurs out of game via char, nowadays.
elsbanner.gif
Posted May 9, 13 · OP
0  likes
213 posts
+26 likes
Thank you! I knew this existed but kept forgetting to look up how to make it work.
ainisig.png
-= Admin - Neverwinter Roleplayers | Community Manager - Everquest Next RP =-
Follow us on Twitter! | Join us on Facebook!
Posted May 9, 13
0  likes
54 posts
+9 likes
Untagged users
Here's a Trillian version I made for my guildies. Sadly, I don't have a CO or STO subscription, so I can't get to the point where I can join channels and such, but I'm looking around for explanations on that, since it's different from Pidgin!

Warning:

This does not work if you are not subscribed to Champions Online or Star Trek Online.

First, download the Trillian client from their homepage. To note, the free version does save your chat to your computer, however I advise always closing out of the windows yourself, and exiting the programme before you shut down your computer - I've noticed that doing otherwise can lose chat history!

Next, you need to sign up for either the Champions Online Test Shard or the Star Trek Online Test Shard.

First, pull up your Accounts on Trillian. Click on the Add New Account button to get started.
RalYBmT.png

You need to select Jabber/XMPP as the account type.
40GRcKW.png

It will pop up with a new account space, and you'll need to add Username and Password. The Username is your Cryptic Account Name, and must have @CrypticSpace.com after it. Click on the Connect button to save the account. It will tell you that the account can't be connected to, however, the next steps will take care of that.
xka8Iyl.png

Now click on the Settings button for the new account. There's some information that needs to be adjusted here. The Hostname needs to be crypticspace.com (ignore the hostname in the image, that was a mistake!), and the port can be default. You can change your resource name to something else.
XE5DkXs.png

As above, if you are successful, it will populate with your guilds and friends lists.

Warning:

This does not work if you are not subscribed to Champions Online or Star Trek Online.

As this does not work without a subscription to CO or STO, I can't explain how to join chat channels or the guild channels. Sorry!
rm_rotate.png
The Realm of Role Play
Posted May 13, 13
+1  likes
0 likes
Untagged users
Well i tried getting NWRP to connect and kept getting authorization error i am still fiddling with it though
Posted May 14, 13
0  likes
6 posts
+1 likes
Untagged users
Radec, I would get that message before I joined one of the test servers. I have also heard, but cannot confirm, that it might take some time for rights for the test servers to propagate out to live.
elsbanner.gif
Posted May 14, 13 · OP
0  likes
54 posts
+9 likes
Untagged users
You also will get that sort of message if you're not subscribed to CO or STO. I got that and a general password error when I was attempting to write the Trillian guide version, and a friend who has it working clued me in on that fact. =(
Posted May 14, 13
0  likes
5 posts
0 likes
Untagged users
Guess i should have mentioned i have a LTS on CO , i figure i havent updated my client in so long that i made a mistake still working on it
Posted May 15, 13
0  likes
Online users (0)
No users online.
Announcement of