There are a number of chat aggregators that allow for connection to the Cryptic systems. I use Pidgin as it allows me to join channels. When I wrote this, Trillian did not have that functionality.
Before I post the instructions, There are a couple of things I should point out about using Pidgin for chat.
- Anonymity is not respected by Pidgin. If you log into the game anonymously, Pidgin users can still see you as online in the list of online friends and channel members
- You cannot initiate a private message by right clicking on someone from the list of online channel members. Use Buddies | "New Instant Message.... You will need to type in their global handle.
These are the steps I follow to connect to chat:
Before you begin.
- Download Pidgin: http://www.pidgin.im/
- Sign up for the test shard: http://www.champions-online.com/test-shard-signup, https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4135/~/(sto)-test-server-faq
Note: I am unaware of a NWO test server and I'm not sure if being on the test server in one of the other games is still a requirement. If someone tests the procedure who's not on a test server, could you get back to us with your results?
- Start your Pidgin client.
- Click on Accounts > Manage Accounts.
- Click the Add button.
- On the Add Account dialog fill out the following:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: <Account Name> (The login name used for CO Live/Holodeck)
- Domain: CrypticSpace.com
- Resource: <Anything> (Equivalent to character name in game)
- Password: <Your Account Password>
- Check Remember Password (if desired).
- Click Add.
The account information should look something like this:
If you're successful, you will see a list of all the SG's you've ever been a member of and a list of your friends:
To connect to custom chat channels:
- Start Pidgin
- Navigate to Buddies | Add Chat
In the Add Chat Dialog...
- Select the CrypticSpace account from the drop down menu
- Type in the name of the channel you want to join. Replace any spaces " " with +. "Champions RP" should be typed as "Champions+RP" for example.
- Type in channels.crypticspace.com as the server. This is different than the default.
- Type in the name you want seen in that channel as a Handle
- Nothing is required in the Alias or Password fields.
- Select the group where you'd like the channel to appear
- Check "Autojoin..." and "Remain in..."
When you click "Add' a new tab with that channel will appear in the chat window.
It is also possible to connect to guild chat.
- Select "Join a Chat" from the Buddies menu.
- Select your Crypticspace account from the account list, and click the "Room List" button
- Verify that the conference server is guilds.crypticspace.com, and click "Find Rooms"
If all has gone well, you should see a list of SG chat channels in a separate window, in the following format:
Click the "Join Chat" button to simply join, or the "Add Chat" button to permanently add the channel to your contact list.
Let me know if I can provide any additional information or clarification.